So, most of you know by now, D23 took place over the weekend, and we were treated to some pretty major news. There have been a lot of rumors over the base few months, and we found out, a lot of it is true! There is no best place to start, so I will just jump right in. These news bits are in no particular order!
Disney World News
- One of the biggest things we learned was the closing of The Great Movie Ride in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This ride has been an iconic ride for the park for as long as most people can remember. It will take its last cinematic journey on August 13th. It is being replaced by a Mickey and Minnie attraction. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, you will ride into a cartoon where you will be the star. Climb aboard a train with Minnie and Mickey, Goofy is the engineer. The ride will use what was called 2 1/2D, no glasses will be required. The ride is inspired by the current Mickey Mouse shorts airing on The Disney Channel. The Great Movie Ride is the last ride remaining in Hollywood Studios from the MGM days. This bit of news has the Disney fans split. Some are happy to see it go, others are upset because it has become so iconic.
- The Toy Story expansion in Hollywood Studios is set to open Summer 2018. I know this is a big piece of info for everyone because with all of the changes in Hollywood Studios and now the loss of another attraction, people aren’t interested in the park at all. It dropped from a half a day park to a park you can be done with in a few hours. This expansion is much needed to drive people into the park.
- We have a name for the new Star Wars expansion. It is going to be called “Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge”. With a name like this, you can surely expect an amazing experience. We already know that it is based on an entirely new world in the galaxy and will feature some key things that Star Wars fans know and love.
- A few months ago, there was a survey that appeared on Swagbucks asking users what they thought of an immersive Star Wars hotel within walking distance to the Star Wars expansion in Hollywood Studios. Well, we now know that it is true. We don’t know much other than it will be a fully immersive experience from the moment guests check in. If the Swagbucks rumor is true, a stay at this resort will offer a completely different Star Wars experience than what single day guests will receive. Based on the rumor, you will check in and pick your side. Are you good, or evil? Bounty Hunter, or Jedi? And from there the immersion begins. When you enter the Star Wars land, your choice will effect every step you take within this area of the park. Once we get more details, we will update you!
- A new table service restaurant is coming to EPCOT. It will be located near Mission: Space and will have a space theme. I, am personally excited for this one. I love a “space” theme and I think it would be a great addition to the front of EPCOT!
- Speaking of the front of EPCOT, Ellen’s Energy Adventure is closing and being replaced by a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. This is great news for all of my Tower of Terror fans who feared WDW would see a ToT refurb like Disneyland did.
- Also in EPCOT, there will be a Ratatouille attraction coming to the France Pavilion. Guests will shrink down to the size of Remy for this ride. It will be similiar to the very popular ride in Paris
- Futureworld in EPCOT will be undergoing a major update. By the looks of it, the entire area will look completely different! This is great news as I have thought it needed an update for quite a while.
- A brand new film is being created for the China Pavilion
- Mission: Space will feature a new “green side” mission that will center around orbiting Earth.
- We also learned that there will be a new Tron attraction coming to Tomorrowland. Last week, the rumor was that the Speedway would be leaving to make space for this attraction, but we learned that Tron will be placed on unused land and the Speedway is safe. This is great news for anyone who loves the Speedway and a Tron attraction will surely revive an overlooked part of Magic Kingdom. Tomorrowland needs an update! This new ride is going to be very similar to the Tron attraction in Shanghai.
Disney Cruise Line News
- We learned that there are three ships being added to the Disney Cruise Line fleet! We knew about 2, the 3rd was a surprise! They are scheduled to launch in 2021, 2022, and 2023! This is great news for our DCL clients! With even more ships there will surely be new itineraries for you to experience! We also learned that a new show is coming to the Disney Dream. The show will be based on the live action Beauty and the Beast!
Along with all of this news, we also learned of 2 new ways that Disney will be getting guests around the property. The Gondola system will be one way that will transport guests high in the air to Disney Parks, as well as a Uber like system that will move guests around property.
With all of this information, what are you most excited about? Personally, I am super excited about the new dining opportunity at EPCOT!
When you are ready to book your Disney Vacation, be sure to contact your favorite Enchanted Adventures Travel Agent, or email me at [email protected].