Summer is right around the corner (unless you are in the south, it’s already here). That means summer vacations, theme parks trips and memories to be made. What are some good summer theme park must haves that you need to make sure to not leave at home ?
What’s in the bag??
Most everyone makes a list for vacation, some even spreadsheets and more. There are lots of things to remember and if you are the “official family packer”, then there is a tad bit more. So what are some must haves to carry in your bags when visiting the theme parks this summer ? There is of course the obvious, your tickets (unless you have a digital ticket), sunscreen and even some water. Here are a few things you might not think of…
- Cash – While most theme parks allow you to charge to your room, there have been instances where the system goes down and you are unable to. Nothing is worse than not being able to get a snack, or a drink in the summer (I also recommend bringing one credit card as well, just in case for the same reason).
- IDs – While, you think you should lock them up in the hotel room safe, I always suggest carrying them on you, you never know when you might need it. And a lot of places will still card you (and make us over 30 somethings feel better about ourselves) when purchasing alcohol. If you are a DVC member or AP holder, you must also show ID when using it for a discount.
- List of medications – This seems silly, but if you take a daily medication, it might be good to have a list on you. In case you are in a medical emergency and unable to communicate. While this is high unlikely, it’s still something good to have in your bag.
- Bag – I have traveled with a back pack, a purse and just the money in my pocket. Most of the time, the dynamics of my travel party will determine the bag I carry. Obviously when my kids are with me, the bag is bigger, since they require more things than I do (and the age of the kids also dictate the size of the bag).
- Cooling towel – It’s hot in the summer, like really hot. If you are not used to the heat or the humidity it can be overwhelming. A simple cooling towel will make a huge difference. There are lots of places to refresh it throughout the park to help keep you cool.
- Portable Charger – “I’m on vacation, I won’t be on my phone”, wishful thinking, but not always realistic. Especially with Disney’s new LL+, you will need your phone to make reservations. There are also things throughout the park that interacts with your phone. Nowadays some phone cameras are better than “real” cameras and those are memories, you don’t want to miss one because your battery died.
- Snacks – Yes, the theme parks are filled with tasty, yummy snacks that you must try. The hangry can hit while standing in line, so a little snack until you get done will help you enjoy it that much more until you grab that must have treat.
- Panchos – Even the best planned vacations will get rained on. The theme parks don’t close and, regardless of the rumors that have gone around, there is not a dome over Walt Disney World. Even Mickey can’t stop the rain, but it doesn’t have to stop the fun. Throw on a poncho and keep going. Most of the afternoon rain showers are short and fast.
- Deodorant – Sometimes, its nice to just head into the bathroom halfway through the day and freshen up a little. Splash a little water on your face, wash your hands and reapply a little deodorant. Sometimes it just makes you feel a little better. It’s also a great cure, if you end up a with a little chafing.
- Extra Clothes – When my kids were little I would pack a whole extra set of clothes in a gallon ziplock bag and change them half way through the day. Made a huge difference in attitude, or it’s nice to have for those occasional Mickey Bar spills. I even pack an extra pair of socks for me still, just in case.
There is still more..
Everyone is different and this is just a fraction of what you might want to pack for your vacation. Good thing your favorite Enchanted Adventures Agent will have some good advice and some ideas as well.